Man and dog homeless after bonfire embers destroy whole house and outbuildings

A man and his dog have been left homeless after embers from a bonfire completely destroyed their house.

Firefighters called to The Chase in Boreham, Essex, earlier today found the semi-detached property ablaze along with several outbuildings and a shed.

Crews from Corringham, Great Baddow and Leaden Roding had to work quickly to ensure the fire didn’t spread to the house next door.

The neighbouring property went on to suffer smoke damage with the occupants unable to return for a few days.

Firefighters believe embers from a bonfire had blown in the wind before causing the fire, according to a statement from Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.

Station manager Scott Meekings, Incident Commander, said bonfires must be set away from flammable objects to ensure embers aren’t able to set them ablaze.

He said: “Firefighters have worked really hard to prevent this fire from spreading to and destroying the house next door.

“If you’re going to have a bonfire, please set it well away from sheds, fences, trees and bushes etc as the wind can carry the embers. Never leave bonfires unattended and make sure the embers have completely cooled before you leave the bonfire.”

A dramatic photo shows the charred remains of the property piled in a field as smoke continues to billow.

While another shows firefighters walking back towards the smoke from a fire engine at the scene.

Written by